Making history of the French community in Hong Kong for 160 years ... it is also interested in those who are there buffeted by parental wanderings. Children do not allow archives and institutions little interest in them. Testimony, both trivial and revealing of an era, can shed light on the daily life of a blonde head catapulted the Far East.
Following the publication of our article on history of the French school in Hong Kong , an email arrived saying essentially, "the little boy in the foreground of the photo ... it's me! . Mathieu Bringer spent four years in Hong Kong from 1980 to 1984. "My father worked for a Dutch company of textiles," he recalls. He led the central purchasing and we traveled a lot, to South Africa in the USA, etc.. Thus accustomed to expatriation, Matthew, his two brothers, sister and their parents, landed in the British colony in 1980. The boy is 7 years old and is enrolled in the French school, then located in the old military hospital in Borrett Road. Begins a new life hectic.
The family moved to Chung Hom Kok, near Repulse Bay. "I came back five years ago, it's crazy as everything has changed ... This is not so far away." And to tell the interminable bus ride to go at school, wasteland now become large properties. "I keep printing more accurate than memories. For example, I played every Saturday morning football on the Peak ... and I like our parties taking place in the mist over half of the year! "Mathieu still evokes typhoons and all taped windows of his house, or discussions of playgrounds on snakes from school: "There was woods all around the facility; obviously we were forbidden to go there ... and we were frightened with snakes that were supposed lapping in the vicinity. " The young man also remembers the Star Ferry trips to go in Judo, "with the strange machine that swallowed the pieces." Over 25 years later, some places are a must for children: "How could I forget Ocean Park! And the floating restaurant in Aberdeen, the rugby sevens tournament ... "
More accurate are the memories of the passage of the training ship of the French Navy, the Jeanne d'Arc . "My uncle was the second of the ship (it is now Vice-Admiral Teule). We had the right to a personal tour, says Matthew Bringer, and we ate in the officers' mess. You can imagine the effect on a kid of eight years! ". Another event remained in memory, an exceptional trip to China. "My parents have taken two years to get the visa. I remember very well tide of bikes and men in uniforms with the hats! ".
's father Mathew has invested in the life of the French community. "It was part of the executive committee of the school when the move to Jardines was being prepared." Bringer The family left Hong Kong before the establishment of effective change, but "my father says there was, for example, a whole debate about air conditioning. Paris refused this arrangement was considered a luxury, says Matthew Bringer. When a delegation from the Paris came to visit to assess the project, the Executive Committee has welcomed in a room without air conditioning! It was hot in high season, it was clammy incredible ... At the end of the meeting, everyone felt that the investment was necessary. "
After four years in Hong Kong, Matthew follows his family Belgium for a more sustainable facility. "I went to school between France and Belgium, said the young man. I trained as an engineer and I went on a PhD in astrophysics. " Asia has remained rooted in the mind of the boy he was. "I did my best to leave. It is no coincidence, then, I became VSN Hanoi! Says Matthew Bringer. It was also a great experience and I took care of scientific cooperation. "And the traveler to continue with a year off with a friend, to half a world tour from Hanoi to Paris on old Russian motorcycles.
"Now I am patent attorney, and in a few weeks I'm off to Shanghai for a new position. "For Matthew, this destination is not insignificant either. "I think my experience Hong Kong was really important analysis that was then a small child of 8 years. It was at an age where we discover our environment more carefully, where it is more receptive ... and I am forever marked by the discovery of Hong Kong! Although they are very diffuse, I have fantastic memories and impressions. "
The family moved to Chung Hom Kok, near Repulse Bay. "I came back five years ago, it's crazy as everything has changed ... This is not so far away." And to tell the interminable bus ride to go at school, wasteland now become large properties. "I keep printing more accurate than memories. For example, I played every Saturday morning football on the Peak ... and I like our parties taking place in the mist over half of the year! "Mathieu still evokes typhoons and all taped windows of his house, or discussions of playgrounds on snakes from school: "There was woods all around the facility; obviously we were forbidden to go there ... and we were frightened with snakes that were supposed lapping in the vicinity. " The young man also remembers the Star Ferry trips to go in Judo, "with the strange machine that swallowed the pieces." Over 25 years later, some places are a must for children: "How could I forget Ocean Park! And the floating restaurant in Aberdeen, the rugby sevens tournament ... "More accurate are the memories of the passage of the training ship of the French Navy, the Jeanne d'Arc . "My uncle was the second of the ship (it is now Vice-Admiral Teule). We had the right to a personal tour, says Matthew Bringer, and we ate in the officers' mess. You can imagine the effect on a kid of eight years! ". Another event remained in memory, an exceptional trip to China. "My parents have taken two years to get the visa. I remember very well tide of bikes and men in uniforms with the hats! ".
's father Mathew has invested in the life of the French community. "It was part of the executive committee of the school when the move to Jardines was being prepared." Bringer The family left Hong Kong before the establishment of effective change, but "my father says there was, for example, a whole debate about air conditioning. Paris refused this arrangement was considered a luxury, says Matthew Bringer. When a delegation from the Paris came to visit to assess the project, the Executive Committee has welcomed in a room without air conditioning! It was hot in high season, it was clammy incredible ... At the end of the meeting, everyone felt that the investment was necessary. "After four years in Hong Kong, Matthew follows his family Belgium for a more sustainable facility. "I went to school between France and Belgium, said the young man. I trained as an engineer and I went on a PhD in astrophysics. " Asia has remained rooted in the mind of the boy he was. "I did my best to leave. It is no coincidence, then, I became VSN Hanoi! Says Matthew Bringer. It was also a great experience and I took care of scientific cooperation. "And the traveler to continue with a year off with a friend, to half a world tour from Hanoi to Paris on old Russian motorcycles.
"Now I am patent attorney, and in a few weeks I'm off to Shanghai for a new position. "For Matthew, this destination is not insignificant either. "I think my experience Hong Kong was really important analysis that was then a small child of 8 years. It was at an age where we discover our environment more carefully, where it is more receptive ... and I am forever marked by the discovery of Hong Kong! Although they are very diffuse, I have fantastic memories and impressions. "
FD.
Sources : Thanks to Mr. Matthew Bringer for his valuable testimony. Photo credits: private archives.
0 comments:
Post a Comment